Saturday, August 11, 2012

Turkey flights, fall gardening, and cooler temps

Week Two (August 2012)

(Four of the turkeys snagging treats from the "green" bowl ... apples, oatmeal, and yellow squash)

Why, of all times out of the year, did the weather choose to cool down now? Maybe I shouldn't ask that as I don't want to the temps to go back up at all. They have been beautiful the last few days and we even had a wind chill the other night. The last two evenings we've been able to sit outside and enjoy the evening weather which makes us happy campers. But does this mean they will stay cooled down? I hope. Or could it mean that fall will be early?

I hope not to that one as planting for the fall garden is in full swing. The kids and I got two of the garden beds cleaned out and added compost to them this week. I got all of the tomatoes transplanted and started seeds for more squash as well as broccoli, brussell sprouts, and cabbage. Once the lime gets added to the beds and they get a good turning I will be planting rutabagas, parsnips, lettuce, bush beans, kale, and cucumbers. I might even attempt another melon planting ... although I don't think they'll grow well in the cooler temps. Might be worth a shot though to find out.

Then today we got the materials for another garden bed and will be putting it together this evening after supper. We make our beds 3 x 10 and 12 inches deep. They're the perfect size to be able to reach all the way across and deep enough for the roots to grow nicely without being so deep that we can't maintain the soil from year to year. I'm thinking all the tomatoes will go into the new one, since they are so finicky about their soil, and I'll try growing some carrots around them. I wish I had some onion sets to put in now ...

AAACCKKKK!!!! Oh sorry, we just had a power surge and the internet went out and I hadn't saved anything ... but it's back now. Strange we went all summer long with all of these insanely hot days running air conditioners, etc with no power troubles at all and now that it cools down, we're losing power almost every day. Go figure.

Anyway, if I had some onions to plant now I could harvest in about December for green onions. I do have some peas that I think I'm going to plant and see if I can get fresh peas for Thanksgiving this year. That's the plan anyway, not that my plans usually work out quite like I plan. There always seems to be some "catch" to them in the end. Although our greenhouse plans worked out pretty well, at least in terms of growing stuff. Alas keeping it heated and watered was a different matter though.

So, the turkeys have taken to flying around some now. Especially our one tom that we named Boyd. He thinks it's great fun to fly up on top of the garage roof and watch the world go by. We, on the other hand, aren't so amused by it. It's not exactly easy to get up there and get him down. Luckily he hasn't taken off anywhere. I could just see him landing in our neighbors yard. They H.A.T.E. our birds (which is fine because we dislike a lot of the things they do too) and would kill them if they ever got in their yard. Of course our neighbor behind us doesn't mind our birds at all, but if one of the turkeys got in his yard, it would be dinner in a heartbeat. He wants to buy one from us for Thanksgiving. We'll see.

At least our turkeys aren't flying around as much as the ones we heard about from the plumber yesterday. He told us that he had wild turkeys at one time and after they were a few months old he thought it would be safe to let them out in the grass. So for a couple of months they were fine, but as soon as they started to fly, he couldn't go near them any more or they would fly up into the trees and not come down. He said eventually he had one of his females that flew off and he never could catch it. He said he'd be driving through town doing a job and see his bird up in a tree somewhere but before he could get it, it would fly off again. I hope Boyd never gets that idea!!

(Here's the naughty little fellow now!)




(And just so he's not left out of the photos this week, this is our other tom, Mr. Mister)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment